- I AM THE LORD THY GOD: THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME.
- Commands: faith, hope, love and worship of God,
reverence for holy things, prayer.
- Forbids: idolatry, superstition; spiritualism, seances,
astrology, fortune telling, ouija boards and all occult practices; tempting God,
sacrilege, attendance at false worship.
- THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN.
- Commands: reverence in speaking about God and
holy things; the keeping of oaths and vows.
- Forbids: blasphemy, the irreverent use of God's name,
speaking disrespectfully of holy things, false oaths and the breaking of vows.
- REMEMBER THOU KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY.
- Commands: going to Church on Sundays and Holy Days.
- Forbids: missing Church through one's own fault;
unnecessary servile work; public buying and selling; court trials.
- HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER.
- Commands: love, respect, obedience on the
part of children; care on the part of parents for the spiritual and temporal welfare
of their children; obedience to civil and religious superiors.
- Forbids: hatred of parents and superiors;
disrespect and disobedience.
- THOU SHALL NOT KILL.
- Commands: safeguarding of one's own life
and bodily welfare of that of others; controlling one's anger.
- Forbids: unjust killing, suicide, abortion,
euthanasia, artificial contraception, sterilization, fist fights, endangering life
and limb of self or others.
- THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.
- Commands: chastity in word and deed;
avoiding occasions of sin.
- Forbids: pornography, bad movies, obscene
speech; impure actions alone or with others; masturbation, fornication,
homosexuality, incest, bestiality.
- THOU SHALT NOT STEAL.
- Commands: respect for the property and
rights of others; the paying of just debts; paying just wages to employees;
integrity in public officials.
- Forbids: theft; damage to the property of
others; not paying just debts; not returning found or borrowed articles; giving
unjust measure or weight in selling; not paying just wages; bribery; graft;
cheating; fraud; accepting stolen property; not giving an honest day's work for
wages received; violation of contract.
- THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THY NEIGHBOR.
- Commands: truthfulness, respect for the
good name of other; the observance of secrecy when required.
- Forbids: lying, injury to good name of others,
slander, tale bearing, rashjudgement, contemptuous speech; and the violation of
- THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE.
- Commands: purity in thought.
- Forbids: willful impure thoughts and desires.
- THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S GOODS.
- Commands: respect for the rights of others.
- Forbids: the desire to take, to keep, or to damage
the property of others.