The Catholic Church is the Only True Church
- "Whom do you say that I am? Simon Peter
answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And
Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because
flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father Who is in Heaven. And
I say to thee: Thou art Peter; and upon this Rock I will build My Church, and
the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it."
JESUS GIVES HIS AUTHORITY TO THE APOSTLES
- "And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying:
All power is given to Me in Heaven and in earth. Going therefore, teach ye
all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded
you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."
- Can you learn to save your soul just by reading
No, because some of the things
in the Bible can be misunderstood and because the Bible does not include
everything that God taught.
- "Understanding this first, that no prophecy
of scripture is made by private interpretation."
(2 Peter 1:20)
- "As also in all his [St. Paul's] epistles, speaking
in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood,
which the unlearned and unstable wrest [twist], as they do also the other
scriptures, to their own destruction."
(2 Peter 3:16)
- What did Jesus do to make sure that His teaching would
never be misunderstood?
He established a church.
- "The house of God, which is the church of the
living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
(1 Timothy 3:15)
- When did Jesus establish His Church?
Nearly two thousand years ago.
- How many churches did Jesus establish?
- "Upon this Rock I will build My church."
- "There shall be one fold and one shepherd."
- How long did Jesus plan His Church to last?
Until the End of the World.
- "I am with you all days, even to the
consummation of the world."
- How did Jesus establish His Church?
By giving His authority to the Apostles to rule
and to teach.
- "Teaching them to observe all things
whatsoever I have commanded you."
- Did the people have to obey the Apostles?
Yes, because they spoke with the
authority of Jesus, and therefore, to disobey them would be a sin.
- "He that heareth you, heareth Me; and he
that despiseth you, despiseth Me; and he that despiseth Me, despiseth Him
that sent Me."
- Did the authority of the Apostles die with them?
No, they handed down their authority
to others, since Jesus instituted His Church to last until the end of the
- Some of the men who received authority from the
Apostles: Matthias (Acts 1:22), Paul and Barnabas (Acts 13:2), Timothy,
Silas, Sylvanus, Titus, Luke, Mark (Acts 17:14; 2 Corinthians 1:19; 2 Timothy
- Which Church today has the same authority?
The Catholic Church, because it
is the only Church established by Jesus Christ.
- How do you know the Catholic Church is the only true
History shows that it is the only
church that can be traced back to Christ.
- Does everyone have to obey the Catholic Church?
Yes, because She alone has the
authority of Jesus to rule and to teach.
- To disobey the Catholic Church knowingly is just
as much a sin as to disobey Jesus Christ or His Apostles.
- Where did the Protestant churches come from?
They were established by men who
had no authority to start churches of their own.
- Who started the first Protestant church?
The first Protestant church was
established less than 500 years ago in Germany by Martin Luther, in 1520.
- Name the founders of other leading Protestant churches.
||King Henry VIII
||Mary Baker Eddy
A non-Catholic who suspects that the Catholic Church is the one true
Church of God and does not investigate Her claims with a mind to join if
Her claims prove to be true, cannot be saved, because outside of
Christ's Mystical Body (the Catholic Church), there is no salvation.
You should try to bring others "to the knowledge
of the Truth" (1 Timothy 2:4) by prudently suggesting
that they take instructions in the True Religion.