Human Beings and the Purpose of Life
- "Lay not up to yourselves treasures on
earth: where the rust, and moth consume, and where thieves break
through and steal. But lay up to yourselves treasures in Heaven:
Where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break
through, nor steal. For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also."
- What is a human being?
A creature who has a body and
- "Thou hast made him a little
less than the angels, thou hast crowned him with glory and honor."
- What is the soul?
It is the spiritual part of man,
that part which will never die.
- "God said, 'Let us make man to our image
- Where is your soul?
In every part of you that is
- Is your soul real?
Yes, just as real as your body.
- How do you know you have a soul?
You can do spiritual things:
You can think, do things without being forced, decide not to do things, make
things, enjoy a joke or a book or a party, talk, work out mathematical problems,
etc... An animal cannot do any of these things. That which makes you
able to do them is your soul.
- Where did your soul come from?
God created your soul and joined
it to the tiny body in your mother's womb.
- "And the Lord God formed man of the slime
of the earth: and breathed into his face the breath of life, and man
became a living soul."
- How long will your soul and body stay together?
Until death, which is the separation
of body and soul.
- "And the dust return into its earth, from
whence it was, and the spirit return to God Who gave it."
- "Watch ye therefore, because you know not the
day nor the hour."
- What will happen to your body when you die?
It will rot away to the earth
from which it came.
- "For dust thou art,
and into dust thou shalt return."
- What will happen to your soul when you die?
It will be judged by God and
will go to Heaven, to Purgatory or to Hell.
- "It is appointed unto men once to die,
and after this the judgment."
- Will your soul ever be joined to your body again?
Yes, on Judgment Day God will call
your body back from the earth and join it to your soul. This will be the
resurrection of the body at the end of the world.
- "Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all
indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed. In a moment, in the
twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the
dead shall rise again incorruptible."
(1 Corinthians 15:51-52)
- After the Resurrection, will your soul and body be always
Yes, both body and soul will be
together forever, either in Heaven or Hell.
- "For we must all be manifested before the
judgment seat of Christ, that every one may receive the proper things of the
body, according as he hath done, whether it be good or evil."
(2 Corinthians 5:10)
- When will Judgment Day be?
Nobody but God knows this.
- "But of that day and hour no one knoweth, no not
the angels of heaven, but the Father alone."
- How should you prepare for Judgment Day?
Pray constantly, obey all of
God's commandments, and do penance for your sins.
- "And take heed to yourselves, lest perhaps your
hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness, and the cares of this life,
and that day come upon you suddenly. For as a snare shall it come upon all that
sit upon the face of the whole earth. Watch ye, therefore, praying at all times,
that you may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that are to come,
and to stand before the Son of man."
- What, then is the true purpose of life?
To live your life according to God's
plan and thus to save your soul.
- "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain
the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul? Or what shall a man give
in exchange for his soul?"
- "Behold now you that say: Today or
tomorrow we will go into such a city, and there we will spend a year, and will
traffic, and make our gain. Whereas you know not what shall happen
tomorrow. For what is your life? It is a vapor which appears
for a little while, and afterwards shall vanish away. For that you
should say: If the Lord will, and if we shall live, we will do this